If you have ever tried to copy a Orkut’s profile image, then you must be knowing that Orkut doesn’t allow the users to copy any profile image except one’s own. I found a little trick by which you can have the link of the profile image and then you can easily save it.
How to Copy an Orkut profile image?
Method #1 (For Firefox)
- Right Click in the blank area > View Page Info.
- Select the Media tab and find your image in there.
- You will find all the images which you can see on the page here itself.
- Find the one you are looking for (profile pic or may be some other) and save it by Save as button.
Method #2 (Requires Firebug Addon in Firefox)
This method requires little advance knowledge. For casual users, I would suggest using the Method #1 only.
- Just Right Click on the image and select Inspect Element.
- Source of the page will be displayed which is not displayed if you normally view the source in browser.
- You will find the direct link to the image just 3 lines above the selected line.
Method #3 (Works in Opera Mini)
Its easier to copy the pics if you are using Opera Mini. Just open the profile page and then from the menu select Tools > Page Info > Download Images. All the images on that page will be listed. Open and save the one you want. Thats it.
Orkut displays your selected image as a background and then uses a 1 X 1 image over it. So when someone tries to copy the image, this 1 X 1 pixel image (http://img1.orkut.com/img/b.gif) is copied. But if they want to display the image on the page, they need to send the url of the image to the browser so as to tell the browser from where to load that image. Do i need to say more?
Now, even if Orkut implements a new piece of code that somehow hide the url of the image.
Update: They have done it now but its not hit proof anyway.
No matter what they do, the image can be copied with a single button. No matter what is shown on the screen, you can copy it. You just need to know the magic word (I mean the magic button and that too on the keyboard). I am talking about the Print Screen button here. Just take a screenshot of the screen and crop the portion you want. Thats it.
Although images in album can be protected from others by restricting who can see the album but there is no way to protect the display image. My piece of advice is not to use personal pictures as display images to be on the safer side as there has been cases in India, when image of a lady was copied and then it was used on porn content.