Alright, here is a quick post on how you can move your torrents file from one torrent client to another. Or you may need to shift your old torrents to new torrent client to continue seeding them. Whatever be the case, the procedure is very simple and easy. Before we proceed, I want you to understand a few things.
Open the download location of the torrent, how is the file being downloaded? Does it have any other extension such as .part being suffixed to it? And what is the current size of the torrent? Is it the size of the whole file or a part of it?
Pre-allocation : Torrent clients have an option of pre-allocating space to the torrents files which means that the file occupies the space that of the original file size and its modified as parts of it are downloaded. If files are not pre-allocated space, they grow slowly to their size as file is being download.
Save incomplete torrents with a suffix : Adds a suffix such as .part to the file which means that file is incomplete right now.
Force Recheck : This checks the downloaded file once again that how much and what parts of it are already downloaded and then resume the download from that state of download.
How to Switch?
- Make a note of the pattern of size and suffix as explained.
- Make a copy of the downloaded files in case the downloaded files get screwed up for some reason.
- Now open the torrent file in the new client and specify the same download location as in the old client.
- Make sure the pre-allocation and suffix settings are same for both the clients.
- In the new torrent client, right-click on the torrent file and select Force Recheck (or something similar).
- It will recheck and found previously downloaded files and then update itself to the status of download to that of the old torrent client.
- Now you can resume things in your new torrent client and ditch the old torrent client.
I admit the guide was pretty generic but I wanted it to be this way so that anyone can make it to work with all the torrent clients available irrespective of what they use and to which they want to switch.
If you need any help, then leave a comment here and I will try to help you 🙂