Earlier I wrote about how you can cancel Godaddy domain registration order and now today I am writing about how you can transfer domain from any registrar to Godaddy. I would try to cover enough information that this tutorial will serve a good one for transferring domains from any registrar to any other but the screenshots will be of Godaddy as the gaining registrar.
Lets understand the process to make things easy.
How Domain Transfer is carried out?
- Loosing Registrar – The one with which the domain is registered for now.
- Gaining Registrar – The one to which we want to transfer the domain.
- Domain Transfer is bought at the gaining registrar.
- Domain should be unlocked at the loosing registrar and Domain Secret Key or Authorization Code is gained needed to initiate the transfer.
- Gaining Registrar sends an email to confirm the transfer along with a Transaction ID and Security Code.
- Gaining Registrar sends a notification to Loosing Registrar to transfer the domain.
- Loosing Registrar sends confirmation for release of domain.
- After confirmation, it releases the domain to Gaining Registrar.
- A transfer success notification is sent & the domain control is now available at the new registrar.
Steps for transferring from any registrar to Godaddy
- Select Transfer Domains at the homepage of Godaddy.
- Enter the name of domain and proceed to checkout.
- When you have purchased the domain transfer, then open Domain Manager by selecting My Domains under the My Products tab on the left sidebar.
- From the Domains menu, select Pending Transfer.
- Click the Authorization button on the right side and select Begin Transfer Authorization.
- Enter the Transaction ID & Security Code received earlier in email.
- Authorize the transfer.
- Enter the Domain Secret Key or Authorization Code on the next prompt.
- Wait for instructions from the Loosing Registrar to approve the transfer. If the domain is unlocked and no reply is received within 5 days, it will proceed forward.
- After release of domain, it will soon be available under your new registrar’s account.
Now you have complete control of your domain on your new registrar’s account.
Have you ever transferred domains from one registrar to another? How was your experience? If you ran into issues or need more help, then leave a comment here and I will try to help.