I wrote the tutorial on integrating WordPress 2.8 with bbPress 1.0 a few days back and today I am writing instructions for upgrading your integrated WordPress 2.7 & bbPress 0.9 installations as we needed some workarounds to previously integrate them but now integration between them is a out of the box feature.
If you are already using integrated installs of bbPress 1.0+ & WordPress 2.8+ then there is no need of taking care of any thing. Just upgrade them individually and you should be fine. This tutorial is for upgrading integrated WordPress 2.6 or 2.7 & bbPress 0.9 installations.
No plugin is now required to integrate them now. So In this post, we will remove some junk and move on.
Before you upgrade anything, make a backup of the database and the complete folder which contains all the bbPress and WordPress files so that if you mess up with anything, you can quickly restore the previous setup (restoring all the files back along with the database gives you the previous setup).
- Upgrade the WordPress & bbPress either by overwriting the new files over the previous ones or by deleting the old ones and then uploading the new ones.
- Access their respective dashboards to upgrade the database too.
- Remove the Freshly Baked Cookies plugin which we were using earlier.
- Delete the hard-coded lines for telling bbPress from where to fetch the user tables
- $bb->custom_user_table = ‘wp_users’;
- $bb->custom_user_meta_table = ‘wp_usermeta’;
- Now open the WordPress integration settings under the bbPress admin panel and fill all the details.
- WordPress “secure auth” cookie salt can be left out.
WORDPRESS <=> BBPRESS
AUTH_KEY <=> BB_AUTH_KEY
SECURE_AUTH_KEY <=> BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY
LOGGED_IN_KEY <=> BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY
After completing the above steps, you should have a integrated setup of WordPress 2.8 and bbPress 1.0
If you ran into issues, then let me know and I will try to help. Have your say in the comments.