Alright! This tutorial is based on a friend’s request who wished to install a local copy of bbPress on his laptop so that he can play around with it. Moreover I use it offline to develop themes and plugins. If you have ever installed WordPress or bbPress manually, then its exactly the same procedure but if you have only tried with One-click installations, then this is new for you. Without any further delay, here is what you need to do.
- Install XAMPP on your computer. (Download XAMPP)
- Now Start Apache & MySql from XAMPP and type localhost in your browser.
- Select phpMyAdmin from the left and create a new database.
- Download the lastest copy of bbPress available from bbress.org
- Unzip the compressed file of bbPress under the htdocs folder of XAMPP folder (By default it is installed in C:\XAMPP\)
- Rename the bb-config-sample.php to bb-config.php and open it any editor for editing. (I use Notepad++ Portable)
- Come back to the bb-config.php file and fill your database name (the name you chose while creating the database), username (root) and leave the password entry as blank.
It should look like this (I chose bbPress as my database name):
define('DB_NAME', 'bbpress'); define('DB_USER', 'root'); define('DB_PASSWORD', ''); define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); define('DB_COLLATE', '');
When you have filled in your Sql settings, then save the file and exit the editor.
- Now open localhost/bbpress in your browser. Fill in the details and click Install bbPress.
- Copy your randomly generated password and login into your bbPress dashboard. Remember to change the password to something that you can remember easily.
- That’s it. Just open localhost/bbpress/ in your browser and it will point to the local copy of bbPress installation.
If you are getting any warnings or errors related to deprecation then have a look at fixing bbPress 1.0.2 installation guide on PHP 5.3 or later.
I am all open for help. Have your say in the comments.